[texhax] Headers formatting doesn't apply to frontmatter.

Panagiotis Nezis pnezis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 12:11:40 CET 2006

Hello,

  I have two questions,

a)  I am using the fancyhdr package, in order to format the headings in my
thesis. The problem is that the customizations are not applied on the
frontmatter. I use the following code :

%------------------------------------------------------------------------------
% headers formatting
\pagestyle{fancy}%
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0.3pt}
\renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0.3pt}
\renewcommand{\chaptermark}[1]{\markboth{Chapter\ \thechapter\ -\ #1}{}}
\renewcommand{\sectionmark}[1]{\markright{Section\ \thesection\ -\ #1}{}}
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0.5pt}
\renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0pt}
\fancyhf{}
\fancyhead[LE,RO]{\sffamily\thepage}
\fancyhead[RE]{\sffamily\leftmark}
\fancyhead[LO]{\sffamily\rightmark}

While on the mainmatter the headings have the desirable format, on the
frontmatter the headings are still capitalized. How could i change this?

b)  Is there any way to change the way the frontmatter of a book is
numbered? LaTeX uses by default Latin lower case numbers. I would like to
use Greek numbers. Any hint?

Thanks.