[texhax] Printing counters which vary in a header

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Tue Dec 12 06:00:22 CET 2006

Robert E. Jamison <rejam at CLEMSON.EDU> wrote:

> This is a LaTex question rather than a Tex question, but I am desparate.
> I want to do somdething which at first glance seems like it should be
> simple, but I can't get anything to work.

Desperation isn't useful.  Try something like the following.  I doubt it
is exactly what you're looking for, but it works, and you can muck with
it to make it closer to what you want.  The one catch is that the page
header will indicate the *last* scene that appears on the page, which
might not be what you want.  Either put only one scene on a page, or you
may have to resort to more hacking.

Read up on the fancyhdr package and on the section marks to figure out
how to get what you really want.

Hope this helps.

 -tom

p.s. Now someone will point out that there is already a package to do
exactly what you want.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}

\makeatletter
\newcommand{\act}{\section{Act}}
\newcommand{\scene}{\subsection{Scene}
  \markboth{\@Roman{\c at section}.\@roman{\c at subsection}.\thepage}{}}%
\makeatother
\newcommand{\n}{\par\hangafter=1\hangindent=20pt Norman: }
\newcommand{\s}{\par\hangafter=1\hangindent=20pt Susan: }
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\setlength{\parskip}{20pt}
\pagestyle{fancy}
\fancyhead[L]{}

\begin{document}

\act

\scene

\n Hello there, darling, mind if I sit down?

\s Go jump in the lake.

\pagebreak

\scene

\n Hello there, darling, mind if I sit down?

\s Go jump in the lake.

\pagebreak

\act

\scene

\n Hello there, darling, mind if I sit down?

\s Go jump in the lake.

\end{document}