[texhax] test for LaTeX typist ?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Apr 26 22:48:36 CEST 2006

  > Hi The secretary in our Math dept is leaving us.  She learned
  > LaTeX very quickly and became quite proficient.  Ad now we have to
  > replace her :-(

  > Can anyone suggest a test, or an approach that we can follow, to
  > determine whether an applicant for the job has the potential to
  > become competent in LaTeX, roughy at the level of undergraduate
  > math exam papers.

I suppose that there are not many secretaries who are happy if they
hear that they should use LaTeX.  I also think that LaTeX is not very
difficult to learn, so I'm not amazed that your secretary learned it
very quickly.

Try to find out first who is most interested.  That is the most
important point.

If you find someone who is able to produce a style sheet in Word but
is reluctant to do the same thing using an ASCII editor, you do not
have achieved very much.

It's best to explain candidates what you expect from them and see how
they react.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25