[texhax] Orphan section heads

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 18:40:05 CEST 2005

> For some reason, latex seems to prefer to put section heads at the bottom
> of the previous page.  I am using \raggedbottom and I set \clubpenalty to
> 10000, but a section header is not the start of a paragraph and that
> appears to have no effect.  There is nothing I could find in the FAQ about
> it.  Surely, someone has solved this.

on the contrary, the latex standard classes put tediously high
penalties after section heads: this makes it difficult to write an
outline document, since the penalties mean that it's impossible to
break the page until there's some text in the sections.

there are tediously many packages that mess up the latex "standard
way", but you don't say what you're using so it's difficult to guess
where things are going wrong.

[note: i make no apology for the visual appearance of the latex
standard classes.  i merely remark that this isn't one of their
failings...]