[texhax] specific look for theorems etc.

E. Krishnan ekmath at asianetindia.com
Mon May 30 17:39:39 CEST 2005

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Florian Knorn wrote:

> i recently saw a very nice way of formatting theorems etc. in a book and
> i'd like to use that for my thesis. it looked like this:
>
> Definition 6 (Some Name) _____________________
>
> Some text texttexttexttext text text text text
> .
> .
> .
> finishing. ___________________________________

You mean something like this?

  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{amsthm}

  \begin{document}

  \newtheoremstyle{linethm}{}{}{\itshape}%
    {}{\bfseries}{}{\newline}%
    {\thmname{#1}\thmnumber{#2} \thmnote{(#3)} \hrulefill}

  \theoremstyle{linethm}
  \newtheorem{thm}{Theorem}

  \newenvironment{mythm}[1][]{%
    \begin{thm}[#1]}{\hrulefill\end{thm}}

  \begin{mythm}[Pythogoras]
    The square on the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle is equal to
    the sum of the squares on the other two sides
  \end{mythm}

  \begin{mythm}
    The sum of the angles of a triangle is $180^\circ$
  \end{mythm}

--
Krishnan