[texhax] landscape figures with footnotes

Matthias F. Jütte mfjuette at web.de
Sat May 28 15:39:07 CEST 2005

Hi everyone!

Today I encnountered a (to me) rather complex problem that I just can't get
solved. Hope one of you can be of help. Here's what I would like to do:

My annex should contain several figures. All have to be in landscape format,
as they are pretty wide. The figure captions are supposed to contain
footnotes, which should be displayed on the same page as the figures. This
part of the annex with the figures is of course supposed to have ist own
section heading.

Here are the problems I encountered:

When I start the section by using \section and continue with the figures, a
gap of almost a whole page is created in the worst case due to the
figure/sidewayfigure environment's starting a new page. How would I be able
to have my section heading and my first figure on the same page?

When I use footnotes in the figure captions, those are all displayed on the
page of the section title. I would like to have them displayed on the page
of the figure they are associated to. I don't really care if that would be
done in landscape format right below the figure or in portrait format on the
bottom of the page.

Just like yesterday, it's likely that I missed some documentation relating
to this matter. In that case a short hint would again be appreciated, as I
have not been able to find a solution to my problem in the last hour.

Here's something to start with:

\section{Figures}

\begin{sidewaysfigure}[htbp]
	\centering
		\includegraphics[width=0.9\textheight]{<image>}
	\caption[<caption>]{<caption>\footnote{...}}
	\label{<label>}
\end{sidewaysfigure}

\begin{sidewaysfigure}[htbp]
	\centering
		\includegraphics[width=0.9\textheight]{<image2>}
	\caption[<caption2>]{<caption2>\footnote{...}}
	\label{<label2>}
\end{sidewaysfigure}

TIA

Matthias