[texhax] inserting text in an enumeration list

E. Krishnan ekmath at asianetindia.com
Sat May 28 04:36:11 CEST 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Zbigniew Nitecki wrote:

> Is there a way to insert some text, treated as an ordinary paragraph
> or otherwise outside the constraints of the enumerate environment,
> between two items?

I had sent earlier what it seemed to be a solution to this, but it
doesn't continue the numbering. Here's a (somewhat crude) solution:

  \newcounter{currentenum}

  \newcommand{\suspendlist}{%
    \setcounter{currentenum}{\value{enumi}}
    \end{enumerate}}

  \newcommand{\resumelist}{%
    \begin{enumerate}
    \setcounter{enumi}{\value{currentenum}}}

  \begin{document}

  \noindent Some text before the enumeration
  \begin{enumerate}
  \item The first item
  \item The second item
  \suspendlist
  Here's some text outside the enumeration
  \resumelist
  \item The third item
  \item The fourth item
 \end{enumerate}