[texhax] Integral limits position

Konstantin Karapetyan texnic at photonica.ru
Tue May 10 09:56:24 CEST 2005

Hi,

I decided it may be better to reformulate my previous question to make
it more clear. If this list is not the right place for this question,
please excuse me and let me know where should it go.

In the simple case of

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[intlimits]{amsmath}
\begin{document}
\[
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \ne \iint_{-\infty}^{\infty}
\]
\end{document}

the upper limit of \iint is positioned too much to the left. It can
be shifted by, say, adding \hspace

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[intlimits]{amsmath}
\begin{document}
\[
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \ne \iint_{-\infty}^{\hspace{1.2em}\infty}
\]
\end{document}

This works fine for \iint, \iiint, \iiiint and \idotsint but not for
\int.

The question is:
i. Can the problem be solved simpler?
ii. Can this shift be somehow “automated”, so that \hspace{1.2em} were
added each time \iint is called?

Regards,
Konstantin.