[texhax] Using other colors than black in monochrome bitmap pictures

Stefan Björk stefan at raggmunk.nu
Thu Mar 3 21:53:31 CET 2005

I have a monochrome TIFF picture that, according to a typography manual
that I try to follow, should be typeset with "6% black". That is, the
black colour of my monochrome TIFF picture should be light gray.

Converting to a grey-scaled TIFF and then to EPS is obvious, but with
the drawback that both the TIFF and EPS files grows significantly and
later processing by GhostScript is slower. I guess this is due to the
increased color depth that is needed for grey-scaled images.

I guess there must be a better way? Is it possible to specify the two
colors used by a monochrome TIFF or EPS file? Can it even be handled
from within LaTeX? Or can I patch the TIFF/EPS file?

Regards
Stefan

PS: Is there a safe way of converting Pantone PMS colors to
corresponding color.sty colors without having to guess too much? DS