[texhax] Re: italics

Martin Heller mr_heller at yahoo.dk
Mon Jun 27 10:10:49 CEST 2005

Florian Knorn wrote:

> a question that was buggering me for quite some time now, and made me
> wonder why that wasn't happening automatically (or is it just me?) is
> the followin:

Because italic, boldface and roman shape are not just text
decorations when used in math it changes the meaning of the symbols:

Mathematical constants and explicitly defined functions (i.e.,
sin and cos) are printed in roman.
Variables, numbers (digits) and functions are printet in italic.
Vectors in bold italic etc.

This meaning does not change with the shape of the surrounding text.