[texhax] volunteer to re-source epslatex (Using Imported Graphics in LaTeX)?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jul 26 00:52:34 CEST 2005

Hello all,

Keith Reckdahl's moderately famous document, "Using Imported Graphics in
LaTeX2e", has been held on CTAN without sources for many years now
(http://www.ctan.org/info/epslatex/english).  I'm hoping someone would
like to volunteer for the not-too-overwhelming job of reconstructing
them.  Here's the story:

I've had no luck tracking down Keith (if anyone happens to see this who
knows where he is, please let me know).  Happily, however, the document
was translated into French by Jean-Pierre Drucbert
(http://www.ctan.org/info/epslatex/english), and Jean-Pierre just kindly
sent me his French sources (hopefully we'll get them onto CTAN shortly).
He never had the English sources either; he "reverse engineered" epslatex.ps.

But now that there is a .tex source (in French) and the .eps figures, it
should be straightforward, if a trifle onerous, to "plug in" the English
text and get a usable source.  The ps2ascii and/or pdftotext and/or
other tools can be used to get the bulk of the English text out of
epslatex.ps to avoid some retyping.

The reason for doing this is (a) so the document can be regenerated with
more modern fonts, (b) having the sources makes it nicer for the free
software distributions like TeX Live, and (c) it'll be feasible to
update/modernize the text at some point, now or later.

If you are willing to take this on, please let me know.

Thanks,
Karl