[texhax] math symbols in makeindex

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Mon Jul 25 20:28:12 CEST 2005

Zbigniew Nitecki :

> Using the MakeIndex package to create an index, I wanted to have an entry, as
> if it were an ordinary R, but printed as a blackboard bold R.  The following
> indexing entry in the text
>    \index{R@$\mathbb{R}$}
> (following the rules on p. 652 of the Latex Companion, 2nd ed.) was rejected.
> Here is the
> entry from the ilg file:
>    !! Input index error (file = Calculus.idx, line = 32):
>   -- Extra `@' at position 5 of first argument.
> The line referred to in the idx file is
>    \indexentry{R@$\@mathbb {R}$}{17}
>
> So the program itself seems to add an extra @, which creates an error.  How
> do I avoid the
> problem?

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amssymb,makeidx}
\makeindex
\begin{document}

test \index{R@$\mathbb{R}$}

\printindex

\end{document}

works just fine for me, are there something you're not telling us?

--

/daleif

``You cannot help men permanently by doing for them
what they could and should do for themselves. ''
  -- Abraham Lincoln