[texhax] How to use fonts in LaTeX ...

Anand Sengupta anandss at iucaa.ernet.in
Sat Jan 29 18:10:48 CET 2005

Hi

I apologize if my question sounds too amateurish for the experts in this
mailing list.

I would like to use nice fonts for my thesis - currently I am using a
template thesis that has lines like
{\fontsize{20}{22}\usefont{OT1}{phv}{bc}{n}\selectfont\par\vspace*{0.1cm}{
Doctor of Philosophy in Physics}}
where the helvetica font has been used. I am guessing that phv stands
for helvetica in LaTeX-ese, bc is for bold and n is normal (i.e not
italics). I hope I am right.

Where can I find the code names for other fonts (AvantGarde for
example). Can someone please send me an example (like the above) of
using other fonts in LaTeX ?

Finally, much as I admire the mathematical equations produced by LaTeX,
why is it so hard and vexing to use fonts in LaTeX ? Why can't there be
a simple human understandable way of doing it ?

Many thanks for your help,
AnandO.

  Ph:+91.20.25604.100 Fax:+91.20.25604.699
  http://www.iucaa.ernet.in/~anandss