[texhax] Boxes and indents

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Thu Jan 27 23:01:09 CET 2005

> Thank you! The \noindent in the \vbox was embarassingly (?) simple, but
> the \@afterheading is new to me. It works - but I have to figure out how
> to fix all the "overfull \vbox" complaints that I get from TeX.

Overfull \hbox actually!

The problem is that \vbox has width \textwidth and then the space and rule
thickness of \fbox havw no space left to live in.  The following is now also
a little more kosher than before.

\makeatletter
\newcommand{\infobox}[1]{%
%  \fboxsep3ex  % to change the space between rule and \fbox contents
%  \fboxrule3pt % to change the rule thickness
  \fbox{%
    \addtolength{\textwidth}{-2\fboxsep}%
    \addtolength{\textwidth}{-2\fboxrule}%
    \parbox{\textwidth}{\noindent \strut #1}%
  }%
  \par
  \nobreak
  \vspace*{\baselineskip}
  \@afterheading
}
\makeatother

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe
Professor of Nuclear & Subnuclear Physics
Dipartimento di Fisica e Matematica
Universita degli Studi dell'Insubria
via Valleggio 11
22100 Como (CO)