[texhax] Page numbers, margins, and odd results

Peter Flom flom at ndri.org
Wed Jan 26 20:05:42 CET 2005

Hello

I'm trying to make a document that is on 8 1/2 x 11 paper, with 1/2
inch margins all around, and page numbers on the bottom.  When I do what
is posted below, I get all this, but the page numbers are oddly printed
- the page number on the first page is in a different font from others,
and the one on the last page prints half on the page.  (I also want the
pages to start at 18, but that worked fine).

Any ideas?

Here's the preamble

<<<<
\documentclass[11pt, oneside]{amsart}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{amsmath, amssymb, latexsym, amsthm}
\usepackage{caption2, float, chapterbib, natbib}
\usepackage[section]{placeins}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}

\setlength{\hoffset}{-0.5in} \setlength{\oddsidemargin}{0in}
\setlength{\marginparwidth}{0in} \setlength{\textwidth}{7.5in}
\setlength{\topmargin}{0in} \setlength{\textheight}{9in}
\setlength{\voffset}{.2in} \pagestyle{fancy} \rhead{Peter L. Flom}
\lhead{}

\theoremstyle{plain}
\newtheorem{theorem}{Theorem}

\theoremstyle{definition}
\newtheorem{definition}{Definition}
\setcounter{page}{18}

Thanks in advance

Peter

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
National Development and Research Institutes
71 W. 23rd St
www.peterflom.com
New York, NY 10010
(212) 845-4485 (voice)