[texhax] MikTeX download problem

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 22 08:55:09 CET 2005

> I have been downloading MikTeX and ran into
>
> Error: The file
>
>   ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/miktex/pub/tm/packages/calxxxx.cab
>
> cannot be downloaded for the following reason:
>
> Forbidden
>
> This happened from two different sites.
> I have also downloaded calxxxx.cab from ctan, but I still get the same
> problem.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

my immediate guess is that your service provider (your university,
perhaps?) "knows" that files with lots of "x"s in them are "naughty".
(this is the reason why the preprints site xxx.lanl.gov got its
current prime name).

if you would care to try and pull the file from
  ftp://cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages/calxxxx.cab
and then mail me off-list to say when you tried it (and from what
machine), i can check that the connection actually got to me, and what
happened to it.

if it really is just a file-name matter, i (or anyone else) can make a
copy available with a less sexy-sounding name, you can pull it to your
machine and rename it...  or something.

what a bore for you!