[texhax] Building CHM help

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Jan 14 20:50:07 CET 2005

    What is the difference between latex2html and tex2ht?

latex2html works by reading LaTeX source directly, *not* using TeX.

tex4ht works by running TeX and inserting tons of \special information,
multiple passes before generating output.  There are tex4ht versions of
nearly all the common classes and styles to support it.  Kind of
amazing, actually.

They also have very different customization approaches.  I can't really
summarize them; some reading and comparison of the docs will hopefully

    Which would you recommend?

There is no one right way.

    May be there is some better tex->html converter?

I don't know about "better", but there is also tex2page by Dorai
Sitaram, which operates at a somewhat different level.
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/tex2page/tex2page-doc.html

I believe VTeX outputs HTML directly, but I haven't used it.

Tom already mentioned hyperlatex.

I'm sure there are more.

HTH,