[texhax] Help

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 16:59:13 CET 2005

> This is Sudharshan. I have few queries to work with TeX and LaTeX.
>
> 1. I have installed Y & Y in my PC. Whenever i run TeX or LaTeX it
> shows some error in the dvi for the fonts. What are the fonts should i
> install to run it error free. (for eg., *.pfb *.tfm, *.pfm) and where
> can i get them?

what operating system do you have?  if you're running on w2k or wxp,
there's a chance you've simply installed things wrongly.  note, w2k
and wxp _require_ y&y 2.2.* or later (because of the different ways
the os handles fonts).

your disc from y&y should have included a set of the fonts you bought
at that time.  if you've installed them properly, that's all you need
for basic operation.

you might care to try the y&y support list: subscribe via
http://lists.ucc.ie/lists/archives/yandytex.html

[thinks: perhaps this ought to be in the faq, even though y&y the
company is no more...]

> 2. How can i use Y&Y in DOS mode.

you can't, i believe.  others may know better...

> Is there any book specially to help Style file creation for TeX and
> LaTeX? If, so where can i get them?

there's no book that's designed for the latex job.  take a look at the
faq answer http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=writecls for
what is available.

for (plain) tex, any decent textbook would suffice; i use the texbook
itself and tex by topic (http://www.eijkhout.net/tbt/ -- contribution
welcomed -- this excellent book has been dropped by its publishers).