[texhax] bib file in another directory

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 8 15:39:42 CET 2005

Better, perhaps, is to use the TEXINPUTS or BIBINPUTS environment
variables, so you can put the files somewhere you like, rather then
centrally within the localtexmf tree, e.g.:

setenv BIBINPUTS .:/home/me/MYBIB1:/home/me/MYBIBDIRS//:

to set up the search path for bibinputs. Basically, this is a
colon-separated list; "." is the current directory, 5he "//" means
descend recursively beneath this directory, and the trailing ":" means
append here the rest of the normal tex search paths. You can also put
your bib files in the TEXINPUTS path (as above but replace BIBINPUTS
with TEXINPUTS), which is a convenient way to make available special
packages and such which you don't want to (or can't because your system
admin person won't let you) add to your localtexmf tree.

This is the unix (c-shell) way; I leave it to others to describe the
windoze equivalents.

Steve

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 14:12, Konstantin Karapetyan wrote:
> Dear Christopher,
>
> When I needed this I used the following workaround: I put the bib file
> into the localtexmf tree where bibtex can find it. This is not very
> convenient in all cases, however, so if you get a better answer please
> let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Konstantin.
>

> > how should I write my \bibliography{} line if the .bib file of
> > references that I want to use is in a different directory from my .tex
> > file manuscript?
>
> > I'm runing MikTeX on Windows98
>
> > Thanks.

Professor Steven J Schwartz       Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics     Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory           E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London           Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.              Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/