[texhax] Times New Roman font

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Dec 19 21:59:43 CET 2005

On Sunday, December 18, 2005, at 03:13 PM, Brian Jasper wrote:

> I have a question relating to the "Times New Roman" (TNR) font type.
>
> Can you tell me where I can find out what TNR looked like before
> Microsoft introduced their version in 1992. My understanding is that
> TNR (Monotype corp), after its introduction in 1933, looked identical
> to the "Times Roman" (TR) font from Linotype, since Linotype made the
> typeset machines for the Times Newspaper. However, when Apple Inc,
> adopted TR in the late 80's, did they preserve the exact identity of
> the original.
>
> To give an example, the modern TR capital "C", has a downward pointing
> serf at the top right of the C which has a vertical face. On the
> modern TNR font used in Microsoft Word, this serf is sloping forward.
>
> Therefore, my question is, what did TNR look like pre 1992 before
> Microsoft released their version?
>
> If you are unable to answer this question, then I would be grateful if
> advise me who I might contact to gain an answer.

It's more complicated than that.

Walter Tracy covers the older backstory in good detail in his wonderful
book _Letters of Credit_ which you should be able to find at any decent
library or through inter-library loan.

There's been a bit of controversy on this since, check the journal for
the APHA for an interesting take on it.

The more recent bit was addressed by Dr. Chuck Bigelow in a set of
postings to usenet:comp.fonts and the TYPO-L mailing list. In short,
Monotype did a metrically-compatible set of Times and Helvetica for IBM
and Microsoft chose to license them having just lost a trademark
lawsuit to Linotype.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.