[texhax] How to make itemized list inside box?

dave at morrisette.net dave at morrisette.net
Fri Dec 16 23:39:53 CET 2005

Hello,

This is my first posting to the list.  I am somewhat of a LaTex newbie, although
I do lead a four hour seminar every semester on how to do use LaTex once a semester.

I am trying to make an itemized list inside a box.  I am working with the tetex
3.0.4 package on Fedora Core 4.

What works:

\documentclass[12pt,a4]{article}
\begin{document}
%\fbox{Hello World\\
\begin{itemize}
\item item one
\item item two
\end{itemize}
%}
\end{document}

The code above produces an itemized list.
-----------------
\documentclass[12pt,a4]{article}
\begin{document}
\fbox{Hello World\\
%\begin{itemize}
%\item item one
%\item item two
%\end{itemize}
}
\end{document}

The code above produces a box that has the text Hello World inside it.
-----------------

What does not work:

\documentclass[12pt,a4]{article}
\begin{document}
\fbox{Hello World\\
\begin{itemize}
\item item one
\item item two
\end{itemize}
}
\end{document}

The code above produces the LaTex error below.
! LaTeX Error: Something's wrong--perhaps a missing \item.

If someone could provide some insight on how an itemized list van be put inside
a box, I would be very grateful.

Miscellaneous info...  to compile the latex I just run "latex test.tex" where
test.tex contains the lines of the files above.

Thanks!
David