[texhax] variant of \cleardoublepage starting on even page numbers

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Thu Aug 18 16:57:41 CEST 2005

Susan Dittmar :

> Hello,
>
> I cannot find it, and I seem too dense to code it on my own. Does anyone
> know about a macro analogue to \cleardoublepage, which just does not force
> the next page to be an odd one but an even one?
>
> I know that's a rather untypical request. I'm typesetting a songbook, where
> the longer songs need to start on even pages so you can still play the
> whole song without turning pages...
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Susan Dittmar

The memoir class has two of these \cleartorecto and \cleartoverso

Defined as

\def\cleartorecto{\clearpage\if at twoside \ifodd\c at page\else
   \hbox{}\thispagestyle{cleared}%
   \newpage\if at twocolumn\hbox{}\newpage\fi\fi\fi}

\def\cleartoverso{\clearpage\if at twoside
   \ifodd\c at page\hbox{}\thispagestyle{cleared}%
   \newpage\if at twocolumn\hbox{}\newpage\fi\fi\fi}

where the cleared pagestyle is normally just and alias for empty.

--

/daleif

``You cannot help men permanently by doing for them
what they could and should do for themselves. ''
  -- Abraham Lincoln