[texhax] .bib "challenge" (AKA problem..!)

Spank tuche at tin.it
Mon Aug 8 20:49:55 CEST 2005

Enlightened TeX gurus,

I am writing an article, and have a specific bibliographystyle quite close
to the formatting required. Now here is the problem: in the "journal" field
of the .bib file I have the full name of the journal for each entry (say,
"Proceedings of the national academy of sciences"), yet the journal's
bibliography requires abbreviations to be used (in the example it would be
"Proc. Nat. Ac.").

To avoid having to re-write the fields of each entry every time I write for
a journal that uses abbreviations or not, is there a way to create some
"association list" (intuitively something containing two columns: one with
the full name - i.e. the target string - and one with the abbreviated name -
i.e. the string that replaces the target string - ) and  some command that
may look up into the list and apply the changes (i.e. put abbreviations
instead of full name) at compiling?

Hope this is clear enough..!

 Thanks for any help, cheers

    Martin

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. [E.A. Poe]

Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here? ''That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.'' Said the Cat. I don't much care where -- Said Alice. Then it doesn't matter which way you go, said the Cat. [Lewis Carroll]