[texhax] MikTeX

Michael Barr mbarr at math.mcgill.ca
Fri Apr 15 20:56:49 CEST 2005

I have a brand new computer and am about to install TeX on it.  I put the
MikTeX CD (from TUG) in and am reading the instructions.  It seems to
imply that WinEdt or one other editor is required to run MikTeX.  I have
no intention of installing a version of TeX that does not permit to work
in my usual way, using my usual editor.

Let me describe that way.  First, although it is a windows machine, I work
always from the command line.  When I load my editor, I type t filename
unless it is the same file I worked on previously, in which case t alone
suffices.  Then I am ready to tex it, I type, from the command line l or p
(the latter in the rare case that for some reason I am using plain) and
after that, v which loads the viewer.  Meantime, the filename is stored in
an environment variable from which all these batch files get their input
file names.

What version of TeX should I be installing?  Should I go back to the 2003
version that I have on my old machine?

I would appreciate replies directly to me as I get only the digest,
usually once a day.

Michael Barr