[texhax] Re: hyperref problems with backward references

Bob Hunter catdogbeloved at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 12:06:40 CEST 2005

Re: \makeatletter

The test example is indeed solved using this command
and calling hyperref right before the
\begin{document}. However, this does not solve  the
original problem, in my style package, where no
\makeatletter is
needed, and hyperref is loaded as above. The error I
get is the following, and tex is not helping to trace
the exact point where
it occurs. Due to the size of the style package, the
attempt to reduce this problem to a test example is
not straightforward. Tex offers a page number and a
line number, but they seem to refer to dynamic
content, generated on the fly for the references and
used as data to instantiate code in the the style
package. It would be very useful in this situation if
tex's debug would allow more than the following:

>Type <return> to proceed, S to scroll future error
messages,
>R to run without stopping, Q to run quietly,
>I to insert something, E to edit your file,
>1 or ... or 9 to ignore the next 1 to 9 tokens of
input,
>H for help, X to quit.
>?
>The control sequence at the end of the top line
>of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
>misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the
correct
>spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
>and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

It would be helpful to have an additional help key, to
list all the open files and the line number at that
breakpoint, as a proper debugger would do.

Anyway, the original error is as follows.

! Missing control sequence inserted.
<inserted text>
                \inaccessible
l.337
?
! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.
<argument> ...malfont  \protect \sc  bibliography}

l.337

?

?
[150.150]
! Extra \else.
\addpenalty ...tskip =\z@ \penalty #1\relax \else

\@tempskipb \lastskip \vsk...
l.337

?

?
! Extra \else.
\addpenalty ...skip \@tempskipb \fi \fi \fi \else

\@noitemerr \fi
l.337

?

! LaTeX Error: Something's wrong--perhaps a missing
\item.

See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for
explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.337

?