[texhax] Including pictures from MS Powerpoint into FoilTeX slides

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Apr 11 11:20:56 CEST 2005

pdfcrop (from the CTAN archives) does a very good job of getting rid of
the surrounding white space in a pdf image. Not 100% of the time, so
using a viewport may still be necessary, but better than most other
things I've tried.

Actually, if all you want it for is presentation purposes, the quickest
approach is to view the original as large as possible on the screen,
then use a screen capture routine and save as a png (if you use
pdflatex) or jpeg or bmp or whatever. Any standard bitmap editor (I use
gimp) will then do a simple crop for you. This doesn't preserve the
vector nature of the graphic, but I don't the presentation screen has
higher resolution than your computer screen so there is nothing to be
lost.

Steve

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 11:27, Patric Glöde wrote:
> Dear TeX support,
>
> I have some MS PowerPoint slides with diagrams which I want to paste
> into my FoilTeX slides. (The PPT slides consist of nothing but the
> diagrams. The diagrams, however, are made up out of different lines and
> other elements, so that it is not possible to work wit ONE single picture.)
> What is the most efficient way to get these diagrams into FoilTeX?
> I have tried to convert the PPT  slides into pdf and than use the
> \includegraphics command. This theoretically works, but of course the
> format of the then pdf slides is not right. They are too high, so that
> the picture needs several FoilTeX slides. Just defining  another scale
> or height  in the option of \includegraphics did not work --> I did not
> manage to position the picture afterwards and in fact, what I need, is
> not to resize the picture itself but to cut away the "white parts" of
> the pdf slide so that just the original picture appears.
> I should add, that I do not dispose of  Adobe Acrobat which  might
> enable me to tailor the pdf slides with the pictures. Neither do I
> dispose of devices to convert the ppt pictures into eps and tailor the
> eps pictures.
>
> I would be very grateful for advices how to tackle this not so trivial task!
>
> Best regards
>
> Patric Gloede

Professor Steven J Schwartz       Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics     Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory           E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London           Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.              Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/