[texhax] Transparency via \includegraphics?

Pavel Minev Penev pavpen at berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 23 07:17:56 CEST 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 04:20:31PM -0400, Alexandru Scorpan wrote:
> Any good reason why \includegraphics does not recongnize transparencies?
>
> Example: png via pdftex.
> Project: set an image with transp. background over gray page w/o
> getting a white surrounding rectangle.  (And without modifying the
> source image.)

I am afraid that the PostScript specification defines the language as
drawing with opaque ink on top of a page (ink overwrites ink).  This
means that if the PS file has an area that is filled with white ink, it
will just be white unless you rewrite your PostScript interpreter, or
modify your input file.

Otherwise, see the attached bundle for an example of overlaying a
transparent encapsulated PostSrcipt on a page.

.,
--
Pav  http://www.larouchepub.com/eirtoc/2004/eirtoc_3125.html
  ,., http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Frankfurt_School&oldid=4862683