[texhax] For bibitem

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Oct 30 23:40:32 CEST 2004

  > Hello.  I have a big library with almost 300 papers cited. The
  > problem is that the format of this library is the following

  > \bibitem{walters01} E.~G. Walters, J.~Schlessman, and
  > M.~J. Schulte, ``Combined Unsigned and Two's Complement Hybrid
  > Squarers,'' in {\em Proceedings of the Thirty Fifth Asilomar
  > Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers}, pp.~861--866,
  > November 2001.

  > Is there a tool I can use to convert these citations to the normal
  > bibtex format like.

If you ask for tools it is quite helpful to tell us which operating
system you use.

It's nearly impossible to write a program which can understand the
\bibitems.  It is possible if all the \bibitems use ***exactly*** the
same format.  I doubt that this is the case.

But you can save a lot of time if you use a fully programmable editor
like emacs under UNIX or Linux.

Emacs allows you to write a function which inserts someting to the
buffer, for instance

((end-of-buffer) (insert ")@ARTICL{,\n
  AUTHOR =       {},\n
  TITLE =        {},\n
  JOURNAL =      {},\n
))

and you can assign this function to a key.

The graphical user interface of UNIX is much more convenient than
anything else.  You can "copy&paste" just using the mouse and there is
no need to press any key on your keyboard.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25