[texhax] nar style

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Fri Oct 22 18:18:51 CEST 2004

Robin:

> > > nar.sty is a snare and a delusion -- it's written for latex 2.09 (it's
> > > actually 16 years old), and as far as i can tell it does nothing for
> > > you that current latex article.cls doesn't do.
> > >
> > > nar.bst i've not looked at.
> > >
> > > (i'll move nar.sty to the obsolete/ tree tomorrow morning -- can't do
> > > it now -- my wife's already in bed...)
> >
> > Hmm.  The nar.sty that he is talking about is the one I built and use
> > (successfully and I just tested it today!):
> >
> > http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/latex.html
> > and then
> > ftp://ftp.ncifcrf.gov/pub/delila/nar.sty
> >
> > I suspect this is not the same file as the one you are looking at.
>
> indeed it isn't.  i hope the op is listening :-)

op = original poster??

> however, the "snare and delusion" that i talked about, on ctan,
> produces exactly the symptom reported.

Ah HA!

> i've moved the more recent of the two(!) instances of nar.sty on ctan
> to the obsolete/ tree, and deleted the other.
>
> which leaves a slot for you to submit your working version, should you
> fancy the idea.  (see http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uploads)

Trouble is, it is one of many on my page.  I'd have to got through
them carefully.  Maybe in 5 years?  Anyone who would like to do these
is welcome to (some have seeped into CTAN).  They are biology related
files.

> narfront.cls seems to be an elsevier ripoff; it points at your web
> site: is it in any way official?

That's right - I probably got it from elsevier and modified it so it
worked correctly.  Documentation about what I did should be inside the
file.  So it wouldn't be official.

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Experimental and Computational Biology
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)