[texhax] new AMSLaTeX + bug fix

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 17 11:05:46 CEST 2004

> I don't know if you know, but I though I'd let you know:
> There a new version (v.2) of AMSLaTeX available to download as
> 	ftp://ftp.ams.org/pub/tex/amsltx2.zip
>
> It's funny though that they haven't fixed their \footnote bug, which in
> all AMS classes types the footnote mark in the last size used in math
> mode.
> To see it in action, simply typeset
> 	\documentclass{amsart}
> 	\begin{document}
> 	\Huge $G$
> 	\normalsize Aha\footnote{Wow!}
> 	\end{document}
>
> Here the fix for it: add to your preamble
> 	\makeatletter
> 	\def\@makefnmark{%
> 		\leavevmode
> 		\raise.9ex\hbox{\check at mathfonts
> 	  		\fontsize\sf at size\z@\normalfont%
> 				\@thefnmark}%
> 	}
> 	\makeatother
> I think this fix is due to F. Mittelbach.

it looks to me that the release of amslatex that you're talking about
appeared only about a month after your bug report (amslatex/3672, for
the curious).  did you get an acknowledgement from the ams support
people?  (there's no sign that you did, in the database, but i suspect
their acknowledgements don't go through the latex bugs database.)

the release would have been under-way at the time your report came in,
and to add frank's patch (or simply to remove the buggy code so as to
use the working latex default) would have required restarting the
regression testing.  fortunate it's such a counter-intuitive bug,
isn't it?