[texhax] For what it's worth

Robert Peltier macconsultants1 at mac.com
Fri Oct 15 18:56:50 CEST 2004

Just some notes from a newbie.

Background: Downloaded LyX which had me download and install
i-installer, which brought me to Gerben's i-Directory at TUG through
its interface.

After selecting an i-Package name then selecting "Show i-Package
window" I have noticed something very confusing. All your descriptions
reveal what a package is, but nothing describes what it does.

Example: "This is Gerben Wierda's binary distribution of Fondu for Mac
OS X. It has been created by downloading fondu from sourceforge and
compiling and installing it with make."

My question: What is Fondu and what does it do? Create melted cheese?
The above quote essentially says that Fondu is Fondu. That's like
saying a GE2250 is a GE2250. You don't know what a GE2250 is? Too bad!
Without a clue as to what this and the other applications do, I am
extremely hesitant to download and install it to my machine. You might
say "Go to Sourceforge and find out," to which I would reply "Why!" You
already know the answer, why not tell us? Isn't the sharing of
information the purpose of an info window -- and the education
community? A one line paragraph saying, "Fondu is a small application
designed to melt your font files into useless gibberish," would allow
me to decide whether the package was something I needed and was worth
the effort of the download and install.

I understand that you and yours have put a lot of effort into creating
this gorgeous and excellent interface. I'm just asking for a little
thought and consideration for the people who are new to the use of your
software, who are willing to learn and to experiment, but are not
willing to fill up their multi-thousand dollar machine with unneeded
utilities.

Just looking out for the average consumer...

Robert ÔGunnerÕ Peltier
MacConsultants
ð Consultants Network
ð Authorized Business Agent