[texhax] \protect in LaTeX2e

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Wed Oct 6 23:46:45 CEST 2004

On 07/10/2004, at 1:55 AM, Alexandru Scorpan wrote:

>> but to be fair, it's not exactly one of those commands you use
>> directly in section headings and captions, is it?
>
> Actually, funny thing, it is.  I don't like how TeX typesets
> subscripts, especially when the subscript is a capital (as in, say,
> F_A or \nabla_A),

  I agree with this sentiment ...

> and so I redesigned it by lowering it, and, sometimes, bringing it
> closer to its `parent' (especially since, say, F and \nabla are rather
> empty on the lower side).  I used \raisebox for that, and then had
> surprises...

  ... but have you tried simple coding, such as:

   F_{\!A}^{}  and  \nabla_{\!\!A}^{}

Little-known fact:
   The blank superscript ^{} forces the subscript a bit lower.

Similarly a blank subscript _{}  adjusts the position of a superscript.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114