[texhax] pdf figure env. w/ pdflatex and foiltex

Steve Schwartz s.j.schwartz at qmul.ac.uk
Fri Nov 5 19:38:08 CET 2004

Bryan,
Here are some ideas - I'm not a graphicx guru, but this may set you on
the right track.

Lots of figures from various applications don't set specifically the
foreground color, at least initially (and these days default to a
transparent background). So if you are using bits of colour (e.g.,
making a presentation) you can find either strange or wonderful effects
where if your presentation is light text on a dark background, in your
figure (or part of it) the slide background shows through, while the
text (or part of it) instead of being black is your (light) text colour.
These are easily curable by defining the text colour to be black and
putting the image inside a colorbox, e.g.:

{\color{black}  % foreground/text colour now black
  \colorbox{white}{\includegraphics{figure.pdf}}
      % white box containing fig
}

What I don't know is whether \colorbox redefines the "background" colour
or simply lays down a box and colors it in. Thus this may not cure a
"black background". I also don't know what your [figure] option does, as
it's not in the graphicx docs.

HTH
Steve

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 19:02, Bryan W. Lepore wrote:
> i do: \includegraphics[figure]{figure.pdf}, and the figure appears to be
> sitting on a black background in a pdflatex/foiltex-generated pdf.  is
> this in fact called a 'background'?  can this color be manipulated?
>
> i'm using Red Hat 9.0 pdflatex version: 3.14159-14h-released-20010417,
> foiltex version 2.1.4a
>
> -bryan

| Steve Schwartz               S.J.Schwartz at qmul.ac.uk            |
| Astronomy Unit                                                  |
| Queen Mary, Univ. of London  Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 5449           |
| Mile End Road                Fax: +44 (0)20 8983 3522           |
| London E1 4NS, UK            URL: www.space-plasma.qmul.ac.uk/  |