[texhax] Chemistry molecular structures

John Simmie john.simmie at nuigalway.ie
Mon Mar 1 17:48:31 CET 2004

 >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:39:15 +0100
 >From: karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry)
 >Subject: Re: [texhax] Grand FInale -- Chemistry molecular structures
 >To: cargnini at matrix.com.br
 >Cc: texhax at tug.org, vitorio at digitel.com.br

 >    I've find the Japanese package xymtex:
  >   ctex.myrice.com/document/packages/math/xymtex.htm

 >As well as the principal documentation on CTAN that Robin mentioned,
t>here have been articles in TUGboat on XymTeX.  Namely:
 >www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb22-4/tb72fuji.pdf
 >www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb21-1/tb66fuji.pdf
 >www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb16-1/tb46fuji.pdf

 >HTH.

Note that nonsensical structures can be drawn with this package
for example the structure headed \naphdrv[ob]
has a pentavalent carbon atom ... even first year students shouldn't be making
a mistake like this!

If you want proper chemical structures do not use LaTeX packages; all
the ones that I have seen do not have sufficient intelligence and the
requisite power to do chemical structures properly, and, they are
very hard to use.

                Dr. John M. Simmie
Chemistry Department & Environmental Change Institute
    National University of Ireland, Galway::Ireland
      Phone: +353-91-750388::Fax: +353-91-525700