[texhax] Debian testing & tetex-bin

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jun 24 15:43:17 CEST 2004

    since the `texinfo` for TeXlive seems not to be exactly compatible in
    its options with the Debian one, so installing packages may lead to
    strange errors).

I assume you mean install-info.  Yes, unfortunately, no one (including
me) has yet unified the Texinfo and Debian install-info programs.  It's
a sad situation.

As far as I know, there are no serious compatibility issues with the
Texinfo language itself, or with the makeinfo or texinfo.tex or info
programs.  We've worked hard to keep them backwards-compatible for many
years now.

    Note that this will also make you use TeXlive's `info`
    (which does not want to start in an xterm for not too good a
    reason).

This I don't understand.  I have no problem running info in an xterm --
in fact, I've basically never run it any other way.  Can you send me the
error and any other information, off the list?  (Or to bug-texinfo at gnu.org.)

Thanks,