[texhax] Trying to find the /right/ piece of LaTeX documentation.

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Thu Jul 8 21:25:42 CEST 2004

The LaTeX manual (dead-tree book by Leslie Lamport) is good for
telling you how to use LaTeX and what all the pieces do, but isn't so
great for helping you figure out how to do new things.  But it's good
to have around for hacking.  You can use it to make sure that new
classes do more or less what they're supposed to do.

To learn how to hack code to do new things, the TeXbook (by Knuth)
helps a lot, and so do all the laTeX packages that come with enough
documentation that you can figure out how they do what they do.
That's where I've learned what little I know.

About your figures, people here have written about the memoir class,
which I keep meaning to look into, but haven't.  Anyway, my cursory
look makes me think it might be better at what you're after with the
figures.

-tom