[texhax] a question I can't find in the FAQs

Dieter Meinert DMeinert at RosenInspection.net
Tue Jan 20 13:07:49 CET 2004

See: The Comprehensive LATEX Symbol List by Scott Pakin <pakin at uiuc.edu>
from www.ctan.org

Maybe you just need \wideparen{\sun\moon\mars} from table 102,
the list is always a good aide.

 Regards
 							Dieter Meinert

  ++++++ Do not support SPAM ++++++ use only plaintext for email ++++++

|=> -----Original Message-----
|=> From: texhax-bounces at tug.org
|=> [mailto:texhax-bounces at tug.org]On Behalf Of
|=> Northrup, Katherine
|=> Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 4:55 AM
|=> To: 'support at tug.org'
|=> Subject: [texhax] a question I can't find in the FAQs
|=>
|=> Dear Sir or Madam:
|=>
|=>    My name is Katherine Northrup and I am an undergraduate
|=> student at
|=> Ursinus College (near Philadelphia, PA) writing in LaTeX
|=> for the first time.
|=> I must say I'm very pleased with the appearance of my
|=> output and the ease of
|=> writing in LaTeX, with the exception of one detail that I
|=> hope you can help
|=> with.
|=>
|=>   I'm writing a translation of an ancient astronomical text
|=> (Aristarchus of
|=> Samos) and I'm trying to put a rounded over line over the
|=> groups of letters
|=> that represent semicircles and arcs in the text.  I know
|=> about \overline for
|=> the straight lines to denote line segments; I'd like to
|=> mark the arcs
|=> accordingly.  My instructor found the \arc command
|=> \newcommand{\arc}[1]{\ensuremath{\stackrel{\displaystyle{\fr
|=> own}}{#1}}}
|=> which invokes the frown and the stack function, but this
|=> really doesn't look
|=> very good at all, especially over more than 2 characters
|=> (and I mostly need
|=> it over 3).
|=>
|=>   I'm hoping there is a simple way to do this; surely
|=> enough geometers write
|=> in LaTeX that there might be.  I'd appreciate any advice at
|=> all about this
|=> matter.  If you don't know of a way to do so, could you
|=> please put me into
|=> contact with someone who might, or else suggest a search I
|=> might try on CTAN
|=> that would show me documents that might contain such a symbol?
|=>
|=> Thank you very much for your time and consideration of this
|=> matter.  I'm
|=> very grateful.
|=>
|=> Sincerely,