[texhax] pdflatex vs. dvipdfm

Luca Turchetti luca.turchetti at uniroma1.it
Fri Jan 16 16:17:34 CET 2004

The bad looking file produced by pdftex will print just fine.
If you need a better look on screen, you have to tell pdftex to download
type1 (vectorial - resolution independent) fonts in the pdf file.
To do this, you need the postscript type1 font outlines files (.pfb files)
and you have to edit the pdftex font map adding the entries for those font
files (I don't know TeXLive, but in other LaTeX distribution pdftex is
natively set up this way).

If you are completely unaware of what I'm talking about , and if you have
dvips and ps2pdf, you could try this (assuming that you are using standard
Computer Modern fonts with OT1 encoding):

latex myfile.tex
dvips -Ppdf -o myfile.ps myfile.dvi
ps2pdf myfile.ps

Best Regards