[texhax] superposing symbols

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at uninsubria.it
Fri Jan 9 16:38:21 CET 2004

> I'm attempting to find out how to use LaTeX to draw a northeast arrow
> through a symbol and have a zero at the tip of the arrow (showing
> that the quantity crossed out is going to zero). I've been
> unsuccessful so far. Can you help?

You don't say what success if any you have had; but, assuming none, try the
the cancel package - it does just what you want.  This could have been
found, e.g., by looking at

 The UK TEX FAQ
 Your 338 Questions Answered
 version 3.10e, date 2003/11/18
 Maintained by Robin Fairbairns
 November 22, 2003

 Q. 193 "Cancelling terms in maths expressions"

 http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq

If you don't find this solution aesthetically acceptable, try looking in
symbols-a4.pdf (available on CTAN if it isn't in you installation) and
you'll find tipa fonts have \textglobrise and txfonts \nearrow it shouldn't
be difficult to tack on a "0" (at worst use the \raisebox command) and then
superpose (here you might look at the slashed.sty package (available on
CTAN) for how to superpose symbols like /.

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe