[texhax] PlainTeX/LaTeX 'Best Practices' help request

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Feb 26 15:11:42 CET 2004

    Perhaps we could also look to summarizing our findings
    in a 'best practices' document of example TeX
    publishing scenarios.

This would be nice to have.

The "best practice" which comes to my mind is something you probably are
already well aware of -- avoid hardwiring font choices, spacing choices,
etc., in the TeX document.  Instead, use macros.  That's the only
feasible way to allow users to override stuff anyway.  Even stuff like
an em dash is useful to put as a macro, so as to be able to get
consistent spacing.

For LaTeX, it might be best to design your own document class.  Depends
on exactly what's being targeted, I guess.

Good luck!

karl