[texhax] r (mod p)

Justin Walker justin at mac.com
Sat Feb 21 03:34:30 CET 2004

On Thursday, February 19, 2004, at 11:55 PM, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

[snip]
>> My reading of various docs and FAQs makes me think that it's a lost
>> cause, but: is there a way to reduce the horizontal space preceding
>> the \pmod?
[snip]
> why a lost cause?  the stuff about finding the definitions of commands,
> and about them, in the uk faq should surely have pointed you in the
> right direction.
>
> \makeatletter
> \renewcommand*\pmod[1]{\allowbreak \mkern 12mu({\operator at font
> mod}\,\,#1)}
> \makeatother
>
> reduces the space from 18mu.

Yep; this does what I want.  I hadn't thought in terms of
'renewcommand', since I try to avoid changing the environment when I
can.  I thought it was a lost cause because I couldn't find a "setting"
to change or a command to use.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |   If you're not confused,