[texhax] LaTeX and Type 1 fonts in Illustrator 10 under Windows ME

Tim Riley tim.riley at yale.edu
Mon Feb 16 00:32:18 CET 2004

I'm writing again on the subject of LaTeX labels on Adobe Illustrator
figures.  My first message is here:

http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/2003-November/001216.html

I regret that the problem is continuing to cause me considerable
frustration.  Here is a review.  The way that I used to annotate figures in
Illustrator was by LaTeXing a little file with the labels in, then turning
it into a .ps file, then opening this file in Illustrator and then dragging
the equations onto the figure.  The problem is that, with more recent
versions of LaTeX, when the .ps file is opened in Illustrator, it makes
substitutions for the CM fonts and ruins the equations.  I am using MiKTeX
and Illustrator 10 under Windows ME, but I gather that there are similar
problems with Mac OS X.

I do not believe that the problem is a result of updates in Illustrator
because I can open old .ps files in Illustrator 10 as I used to.  It seems
that something has changed in recent versions of LaTeX.

I am aware of the Warmread package and the marked objects plug-in for Adobe
Illustrator.  But that method is awkward.  Being able to drag to precise
locations, to see immediately what you are getting, and copy and resize is
far more convenient.  I am told that Latin Modern fonts would not be
substituted by Adobe, but I haven't been able to get them to work.  Also I
gather that something like  "Enfocus PitStop" would help - but there must
be an easier answer that does not involve buying and learning to use
professional fonts tools.

Does anyone know what has changed in LaTeX to cause this change in
function?  And how can it be reversed?  I have tried installing an old
versions of LaTeX (TeXLive 4 and 6) and using .ps produced by that, but
with no success.  Should some old fonts be copied in place of the new ones?

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received!

Tim Riley