[texhax] A Question about Style

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Fri Feb 13 23:02:37 CET 2004

>       I have been told that unless you are an expert in LaTeX you
> should not
> use using the commands:
>             \newline
>             \vspace
>             \hspace
> The claim is that, LaTeX, properly used, will do a better job
> then you can.
> Do you agree with this?

In a word, no.

If packages were perfect and designed to cater for every possble
circumstance, this might just be true.  However, they are written by human
beings who, no matter how expert they may be, do not possess crystal balls.

Having said that, it is a common mistake to try bodging a remedy for
undesired output without taking a little time to search the various FAQ or
package listings to see if something suitable already exists.

Having said that, however, if you only need to adjust one simple single
slightly undesired instance, then why waste time?  If \newline, \vspace, or
anything else for that matter can fix it, ... just do it!

As with every aspect of life, peronal judgment is all important.

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe