[texhax] installing new styles with tetex on Linux

Pavel Minev Penev pavpen at berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 13 09:52:03 CET 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 08:34:47PM -0800, John Wheeler wrote:
> texconfig is a program that (among other things) causes tex and latex to
> recognize the existence of new .sty and .cls and .def and .clo files added
> to directories in
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/
> so that they are known to tex to be available.
>
> for example, the files in ..../latex/foiltex and .../latex/dratex
> were added by creating the directories,
> then (as root)
> texconfig
> was run  and the item
> update ls-R
> was selected
> after which, latex recognised these input files as available.  Before running
> texconfig, latex didn't know of their existence, even though they'd been there.

That will work on mostly any TeX installation.  I usually have a
directory somewhere in my private area where I write my
packages/classes, and put extra ones.  A symlink from inside the
directory tree searchable by LaTeX points to this directory.  (Note that
for a different *TeX flavor, such as eTeX, or plain TeX, you will need
to make your files available from another, respective, directory).  Then
you can run `texhash` (or `mktexlsr` on some TeX distributions) to
update distribution's hash of available package and class files (and any
other file looked up by Kpathsea) [And as was pointed out, the hash can
be updated by `texconfig`, as well].  Then you are ready to TeX.

It might be useful to know the directory under which to install packages
that you want visible by, say, LaTeX.  On a typical Debian system (using
a rather outdated teTeX) the directories you need are under
</usr/share/texmf/> (like </usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/>).  If you are
using a TeXlive system, you should consult your $VARTEXMF environment
variable.  (Both Bourne Shells and C Shells would recognise
`echo $VARTEXMF`).  You will usually need to install under
<$VARTEXMF/tex/>.

HTH,
--
Pav