[texhax] latex and bibtex logos

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 27 01:01:24 CET 2004

> On my windows98 machine at work, running MikTeX, I can use \LaTeX\ and
> \BibTeX\ to insert the respective logos.
>
> This doesn't work on my Libranet (basically Debian) 2.8.1 system at
> home, running tetex. I get a message about "undefined control sequence"
>
> I have used various permutations of lower case and capital letters, with
> and without trailing backslash, etc, without success.
>
> I thought these commands were fairly standardized across LaTeX
> distributions.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

\LaTeX is defined in latex distributions, as is \LaTeXe; this is
because it's difficult to do well[*].  latex also provides a definition of
\TeX, which is (iirc) slightly different from that in plain tex.

bibtex is easy to do with the tex logo, and is only provided in
packages that believe there's value in massive overload of these silly
logos.  my tugboat macros define it, for example; not because i
believe in the logos, but because the editor does.

[*] the latex logo is painfully font-dependent.  i wrote a package to
permit parametric definition of the logo based on features of the
font.  it's not terribly successful, but i did get a tugboat paper out
of that little bit of silliness.