[texhax] Verbatim environment in LaTeX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Aug 26 23:25:11 CEST 2004

    > Dear Robin, Thanks for the useful advice. I suspected there was
    > something funny about verbatim, since my other environment
    > definitions or redefinitions worked OK. [...]

The verbatim envionment is indeed different.  A \begin{...} changes
LaTeX's behaviour and an \end{...} restores the original state.

A \begin{verbatim} causes LaTeX not to regard a "\" as an escape
character or a brace as a group delimiter or a "$" as a math delimiter.

The problem is that \end{verbatim} then is not be treated as a control
sequence any more.  So the verbatim environment does not work like the
other ones.  Your guess was correct.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25