[texhax] Adjusting parentheses for intervals and functions

Robert Hunt reh10 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 18 18:18:32 CEST 2004

Plamen Tanovski wrote:

> PS: nicefrac sucks. It uses the virgule instead of the solidus. This
> may be OK for CM, where the solidus also sucks (compare with the
> fraction bar in the percent sign), but for the rest of the fonts it is
> simply wrong.

It is worth pointing out that not all authorities agree on the putative
difference in definition of "virgule" and "solidus": many regard them as
synonyms, despite recent attempts by particular authors to give them
different, specific, technical meanings. These technical meanings are
not yet universal. It's therefore always worth specifying precisely what
you mean when you're talking about them if you want everybody to
understand the distinction!

Paul Wagner wrote:

> the name "nicefrac" suggests that it typesets those
> superscript-numerator/slash/subscript-denominator fractions, which I have
> only seen in cookbooks and elementary school math books. If the document
> does not belong to one of these categories, you should probably refrain from
> using it.

I disagree: 1/2 as set by say the nicefrac or xfrac packages is
excellent when used in the right circumstances. A good example is for
"square root" when used as a power; neither of the alternatives look
good.