[texhax] Numbers in Table

W.J. Metzger wes at hef.kun.nl
Thu Apr 15 09:42:19 CEST 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Douglas Hespe wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 06:22:05PM -0400, Robert Sherry wrote:
> >     I have a LaTeX document that has several large tables. These tables are
> > defined using the longtable command. Most of the tables consists of 6 and 7
> > digit numbers. Since there are no commas in the numbers, it is hard to read.
> > I know I could manual enter the commas but that would be a big job. Is there
> > anyway I can get LaTeX to automatically insert the commas?
> See Mr Ratcliffe's reply for details.
>
> On a side note, you might want to insert "\," instead of a simple
> comma. This is the new international standard, i.e. a space instead of
> a comma between groups of three digits.
>
> Regards,
> Doug Hespe.

May be new as a standard, but long considered good practice, since
many languages, e.g., French, German, have the roles of comma and point
interchanged with respect to English usage.  Thus 5,001 means
slightly more than 5 in these languages rather than slightly more than 5000.

Cheers, Wes

--
Dr. W. J. Metzger            Experimental High Energy Physics Group
tel. +31-24-3653127          Faculty of Natural Sciences
e-mail:  wes at hef.kun.nl      or   W.Metzger at cern.ch
http://home.cern.ch/metzger/ or   http://www.hef.kun.nl/~wes
  (**)  After 1 Sept. 2004,  Radboud University Nijmegen