[texhax] Unnumbered Table of Contents

E. Krishnan ekmath at md5.vsnl.net.in
Thu Sep 11 09:05:17 CEST 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 marymary at suberic.net wrote:

> I'm able to get the 2nd, 3rd, etc. pages of the TOC
> to be unnumbered, by setting \pagestyle{empty}
> at the beginning of the document, but the first
> page always has a page number.

Before issuing the command "\tableofcontents" give the command

    \addtocontents{toc}{\protect\thispagestyle{empty}}

The point is, in the default "book" class, the command "\tableofcontents"
invokes the "\chapter*" command, which in turn issues the
"\thispagestyle{plain}" command. The line above writes
"\thispagestyle{empty}" to the "toc" file, thereby overriding the default
behaviour.

--
Krishnan