[texhax] matrices

E. Krishnan ekmath at md5.vsnl.net.in
Wed Sep 10 07:40:35 CEST 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Joe Corneli wrote:

<snip>
> One thing that I haven't
> been able to get satisfied with is the way one has to enter matrices,

> The trick is detecting the number of columns dynamically
</snip>

The package "amsmath" contains environments for doing this: for example,
"\begin{pmatrix}...\end{pmatrix}" gives matrices with the usual
parentheses (..) surrounding the entries. Other environments provide
different delimiters.

The number of columns need not be specified. By default, we can have
at most 10 columns, but this can be changed by setting the counter
"MaxMatrixCols".

Please see the document "amsldoc.dvi" provided with most LaTeX
distributions.

--
Krishnan